Here is my banana loaf recipe by request. This is my mother’s recipe, at the time of writing it down we used imperial measurements but our oven is measured in Celsius. When I say it is my mother’s recipe she didn’t make it up and I am sure that my Aunt, and cousins and all related friends could have used this recipe.
4 oz. better/margarine
6 ozs sugar
1 level tsp. bicarbonate of Soda
2 Tbsp. boiling milk
1 tsp. Baking powder
8 oz. flour
(You can also add 1 tsp of vanilla essence and/or ½ cup of chopped almonds or preferred nuts.)
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs, mashed up banana.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in boiling milk
- Add the flour and baking powder (previously sifted)
- Bake at 170 degrees C in a greased loaf tin for + – 38 minutes OR in 2 greased sandwich tins for 20 mins. Check doneness with a skewer.
- Once it is done cool on a rack
- Serving suggestion: decorate with whipped cream and sliced bananas or slice and butter. I eat it just as it is.
Food for thought:
I am sure you have heard the saying: ‘When life gives you lemons make lemonade’; well I always think ‘when life gives you overripe bananas make banana loaf.’ (overripe not rotten) And what I mean by that is you can always turn your circumstances into something better, so long as they haven’t gone ‘off’.
Take care and remember life is a gift, be inspired.
If you are interested in my other recipes they are: